This is my 'working document' C.V. within which I will try and keep up-to-date with my current achievements and projects. Please do not take this document as a sign that I am "looking for a job", rather that I am always open to being approached about new ideas, concepts and projects.
Education & Training
- 1997: Sacred Heart Secondary Comprehensive - 8 GCSE's at A*-C including English, Maths and Science
- 1999: Redcar & Cleveland Technical College - A-Levels in Maths, Physics & Computing
- 2002: University of Portsmouth - BSc (hons) Computing
- 2008: St Mary's University College - PGCE Education (A)ICT
- 2011: Edge Hill College of Higher Education - PGDip Education
- 2015: The Institute of Education (UCL) - M.A. Educational Leadership
- 2019: ValidateSkills - SFIA Consultancy Training
- 2008-2017: Teacher/Head of Dept/Subject-Coordinator - Harris Academy Merton. Role started as a teacher (ICT/Business), led through promotions to HoD CS, Subject Coordinator (CS, IT, Business, Economics), Subject Coordinator (ICT, CS, Media, R.E., Psychology, Sociology). Also took role of Head of Data & Assessment, Asst G&T Cooordinator, VLE supervisor.
- 2017-2019: Assistant Principal - Banbury Academy/Wykham Park Academy/Space Studio Banbury. Assistant principal covering Maths, Computing & Engineering, oversaw whole-school data, overseeing roughly 1/4 of the schools' teaching staff and students.
- 2019-Present: Lecturer of Computing - Open University. Working within the Institute of Code and on undergraduate courses.
- 2012-Present: Consultant/Business Owner - ICT So Easy - Educational consultation and resource development.
- 2015-Present: Lead Assessment Writer/Principal Examiner - AQA, AS Theory paper - writing, delivering and assessing national examination.
Research & Projects
- 2019 - Identifying the Impact of Using Augmented and Virtual Reality in Educational Contexts. (work in progress)
- 2019 - Analysis of Accreditation Approaches in the Computing Sector: Institute of Coding Work Package 1.1. (work in progress - with David S Bowers)
- 2019 - TurtleIT - Simplified implementation of Python Turtle for completing maze challenges along with novel remote collaborative coding solution. Blog entry
In the past
- 2015 - Collaborated on AQA GCSE Computer Science textbook (Steve Cushing)
- 2015 - Collaborated and contributed to AQA A-Level Computer Science textbook (Bob Reeves)
- 2016 - Acknowledged as a CAS Master Teacher
- 2016/17 - Twice contracted by Dubai College to deliver teacher Computer Science CPD in Dubai. A total of 10 days training was delivered over two years.
- 2017 - Accepted as a volunteer at the National Museum of Computing
- 2018 - Appointed developer on Discworld MUD
- 2019 - Delivered a hack-a-thon for three primary schools in Kent. Developed TurtleIT for this purpose. Blog entry
- 2019 - Requested to deliver session on the future of VR in Education at #Exabytes10 - My presentation is available here as the HDMI didn't work on the day!
- 2019 - Presented initial research findings as a poster at the International Conference of Learning, Belfast
- 2019 - Part of the academic team on Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Workshop (Institute of Coding)
- 2019 - Authored chapter in New Perspectives on Virtual and Augmented Reality in Education (Routledge)
- 2019 - Are You Ready for Your Studies - Are we Assessing Students Readiness?
An evaluation of the usefulness of the Level 2 ARFY quizzes - eSTEeM project
- 2019 - Journal Article Reviewer - CG Scholar
- 2019 - Journal Article Reviewer - Open Learning
- 2019 - Member of Athena SWAN panel (School of Computing & Communications, Open University)
Hobbies & Interests
- Adventurous driving trips - (Including London-Georgia and London-Marrakech)
- Programming for fun - sad but true
- Reading - currently working through an extended list of the world's best Sci-Fi. I've just re-visited the works of Tom Sharpe and am now looking for new things to listen to on the way to work. I do a lot of audiobooks!
- Cycling - recently rode from Paris to London
- Walking - Yorkshire Three Peaks is coming up to be followed by an extended three-day walk/wild-camp in the Lake District
- Forging - not signatures! I've recently taken up blacksmithing; I've learnt to weld (sort of) to build myself a forge and am now beating scrap steel into different types of scrap steel. It's fun!